The Gryffindor Common Room is another room that took a considerable amount of work so it too has been broken up into several posts.
I wanted the curtains in the Gryffindor Common Room to be big and heavy. Unfortunately, big and heavy drapes are very expensive so I ended up making them with help from my mom. I bought these beautiful damasks in red and gold and we stitched up some simple, but dramatic, curtains.
One of my luckiest finds when out junking was this coat of arms. I was in a flea market with a friend when we rounded a corner and BAM there it was! It was missing a sword and was a little dinged up, but that made it even more perfect.
I decided to fill the gap of the missing sword with an oversized wand. I bought a dowel rod and two wooden candle stick holders, cut the dowel to size and sanded the tip, stained it and holders. Then I glued the ends of the holders together to make the handle and glued the dowel into the holder!
Then I painted the gryphon red and blade of the sword silver to give it some life. It looked pretty majestic all put together.A few other finds, like these 3D renaissance man plaques, an old tapestry, a Hogwarts pennant, and more squishy pillows started really bringing this room together.